The Diverse City Fund is administered and led by an all-volunteer Board of Instigators. We are seeking new board members, who ideally have experience with (or are open to learning about) grassroots fundraising, outreach/communications, and/or grantee relations (i.e., helping connect people and resources).
Candidates for the BOI should be rooted in/committed to DC and passionate about expanding social and racial justice in the city. Additionally, they should have an interest in challenging existing models of philanthropy and resource distribution. The BOI generally meets twice a month, once in person and once by phone, and typically holds planning retreats twice a year.
If you are interested in joining the Board of Instigators, we ask you to write a statement of interest. See below for information on our preferred format for the statement, as well as a short list of key questions we would like you to answer! Final statements are due by 11:59 pm on May 8, 2015. You may also contact us with any questions you have about the BOI (though please consult our FAQ first to see if we’ve already answered your question!).
Please share this announcement with potential instigators!
Thanks so much for your interest in serving on the Diverse City Fund Board of Instigators. The Diverse City Fund works to nurture community leaders and grassroots projects that are acting to transform DC into a more just, vibrant place to live.
Through our grantmaking, we identify, support, and connect people in communities of color who are engaged in change work. We support the development of community-level social change by funding projects that have less access to traditional funding sources. As of April 2015, we have completed seven grant rounds and given a total of $335,000 to 102 grassroots projects/organizations led by people of color in DC. Our eighth grant round is underway.
But enough about us! We want to know about you! Please answer the following questions in a Statement of Interest and send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org attached as either a Word document or PDF (no more than two pages). Please also include a resume/CV or bio!
We know that lasting social change takes passion, thoughtfulness, and extraordinary courage. Thank you for your commitment. Please respond in your own words:
1. What draws you to the Diverse City Fund?
2. How does the work of the Diverse City Fund connect to your values about resource distribution, racial and economic justice, and social change?
3. Tell us a bit about the work (personally, professionally or some combination of the two) you are doing to support and enhance social justice in Washington, DC?
4. What unique and valuable skills can you bring to your work with the Diverse City Fund? (For example: Is it the networks closest to you? Organizing skills? Fundraising experience?)
5. Help us dream of the world we’d like to see. What is your vision of a more just DC?